situated northeast of Caldwell, is one of the older and larger
communities in Burleson County. It was the first Czech-Moravian and
German community in the county and is still populated mainly by
descendants of the pioneer groups who settled there in the 1870's
and 1880's. The prairie land and black, loamy soil is ideal for
growing all types of crops.
Czech-Moravians came in 1870. Some came directly from Czechy and
Moravia, Czechoslovakia, and Austria-Hungry. The community was named
New Tabor by the first settlers who came from the community of Mount
Tabor in Czechoslovakia. By the 1880's, additional families came
from Czechoslovakia, and many German families came directly from
Germany or from Austin and Washington Counties.
early settlers did not forget that their main reason for immigrating
to Texas was the search for freedom of worship. Immediately after
settling, they met in homes to worship until they were able to erect
churches. The history of the New Tabor Brethren Church had its
beginning in the year 1870, when the first Czech settlers began
arriving in this small community located about four miles east of
Caldwell, Texas. The church is still situated on the same location.
Hus Encampment is located in the New Tabor community five miles east
of Caldwell. It is the property of The Unity of the Brethren, a
small Protestant denomination, established in Texas in 1903 by Czech
immigrants who trace their heritage back to followers of John Hus,
who formed the original Unity of the Brethren in 1457 at Kunvald in